[WikiEN-l] Tacit acceptance of harassment

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 03:09:57 UTC 2003

James Duffy starts ranting about "the boy who cried
>wolf", and denies that serious amounts of Jew baitiing
>exists - in the midst of some of the most serious
>anti-Semitic slander Wikipedia has seen.

RK, I made it absolutely clear in my message that I was not attacking you,
much less ranting. Furthermore I have unambiguously called for a ban of EoT.
Please stop misrepresenting people.

The point of the message was to say that, having accused vast numbers of
people of jew-baiting, as in the story of 'the boy who called wolf', you
undermine your credibility to such a degree that when it /really happens/,
people simply think /here he goes again/ and don't take your claims
seriously.

Most of what you called 'jew baiting' is really 'you bating', attacks on
you, not your religion, though, and I do understand this, you interpreted it
as an attack on your faith and culture. If it was genuine jew baiting, it
would also have been targeted against others of the jewish faith or
community. It was targeted solely against you, often in response to your
over-reaction to criticism. I have emailed you privately to urge you to be
restrained in your accusations, making the point that it does not help your
cause when you make extreme allegations against much of wiki. Now I am
saying it publicly. Sometimes you are your own worst enemy, your wild
allegations so undermining your credibility that when it genuinely happens,
people just think, in the words of Ronald Reagan (I never thought I'd end up
quoting /him/!) 'there you go again'.

Let me be blunt. I respect your contributions. I respect your sincerity. I
know you are a genuine and honourable contributor to wiki. But you do more
to undermine your case than anyone else on wiki. Please, please, please stop
it.

I think EoT's behaviour to you was outrageous. Creating all these 'attack'
pages was a gross abuse of wiki. No-one, repeat no-one, should be allowed to
do that to /any/ user on wiki. So again, I call for his banning. I also
appeal to you to show restraint. Please show the respect for others that
your /rightly/ expect them to show to you. EoT has already been banned as I
think ''142''. Don't create sympathy for him by your over-reaction. And
please stop attacking those who are trying to help you to deal with OTT
attacks. You make defending you /extremely/ difficult when you read into
genuine advice personalised attacks. I made it clear before, and I make it
clear again, I am trying to be constructive and to say that EoT's behaviour
is a gross abuse of wiki. Please stop attacking the dwindling number of
people willing to defend you against EoT's acts. And BTW it is dwindling
/not/ because people are anti-jewish, or agree with EoT's behaviour, but
because you interpret the /slightest/ criticism of you, however honest and
well meaning, in a grossly unfair manner.

Please /this/ time heed my advice.

JT