[WikiEN-l] Dealing with AOL over vandalism

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sat Aug 30 23:33:49 UTC 2003

james duffy wrote:
> That formal request come from Jimbo to SENIOR figures in AOL.

Hey, I'm all for it, unless people come up with good reasons for me
not to try, but I don't think I really have any access to anyone of
any importance at AOL.  I've never even done any business with them in
order to have a contact in the business development department or
anything like that.

Also, I think detailed threats against AOL might not be as helpful as
just an ordinary abuse complaint.  I mean, have we tried that yet?
I'm under the vague impression that, if anything, AOL is too *quick*
to close accounts for complaints.  I think they basically figure why
bother dealing with the expense of defending a customer, right or
wrong.

--Jimbo