[WikiEN-l] Dealing with AOL over vandalism

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Sat Aug 30 22:32:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Delirium wrote:
> First of all, the whole idea is somewhat ridiculous.  AOL is the single
> largest ISP in the United States, providing internet access to millions
> of people, including quite a few of our better contributors. Blocking
> it would be incredibly counter-productive, and do far more damage than
> Michael could possibly do.

What we should do is the following,

1) Contact AOL pointing out those specific sections of the AOL TOS that
the user has violated.

2) If this fails to get a response, send a letter stating that access to
wikipedia could be withdrawn from AOL users.

3) If this fails, make a wikipedia front page that described the problem
we've been having with AOL and serve it up to all AOL users accessing the
site. On the page supply an email address for AOL and ask AOL users to
contact AOL about the issue.

Hopefully that will be enough to make AOL take action, and if we have to
take more extreme action against them we will be able to show that we are
fully justified in taking those actions.

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran