[WikiEN-l] Dealing with AOL over vandalism

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sat Aug 30 20:51:40 UTC 2003

While I doubt that this idea will go anywhere, I figured I'd weigh in
against it anyway.

First of all, the whole idea is somewhat ridiculous.  AOL is the single
largest ISP in the United States, providing internet access to millions
of people, including quite a few of our better contributors.  Blocking
it would be incredibly counter-productive, and do far more damage than
Michael could possibly do.  Furthermore, it is unlikely to receive *any*
even remotely good publicity, regardless of what publicity blitz you put
on.  It will receive good publicity on slashdot, in NANAE, and other
similar internet-zealot locations, but universally bad press
everywhere.  Wikipedia will essentially be painted as an elitist
internet-zealot organization that doesn't allow common folk in, while
we'd like to be painted as a bit more open than that.

In addition, it's completely unnecessary.  Even if we were to need a
technical block of sorts (which IMO would require far more vandalism
than Michael has caused so far to justify), it should be done as
minimally as possible.  Using something heavy-handed like blocking all
AOL IPs from editing is certainly not minimal.  A first step I *might*
possibly support *if* it were a huge problem and all other avenues were
exhausted would be to allow sysops to ban logged-in users if they are
currently on an AOL IP (then Michael could simply be banned by any sysop
each time he pops up by clicking the "ban" button).  However, even this
I'd prefer not to have, given that other solutions are possible (my
preferred so far being extending rollback to support rolling back page
moves).

-Mark