[WikiEN-l] RE: Michael again *sigh*

koyaanis qatsi obchodnakorze at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 12:08:17 UTC 2003

--- james duffy wrote:

>> Michael's behaviour is gone beyond annoying at this
>> stage. We have talked
>> and talked about contacting AOL. Has that been
done?

--- Christopher Mahan wrote:
>Block AOL IP Block for edits.
>
>If people complain, tell them that there is no other
>way to stop AOL users from damaging the system, and
>that AOL itself does not care.
>
>I say we might get some advertizing that way.

KQ writes:
While I'm sure the thought is tempting, isn't it a bit
counter to wikipedia's stated goals of openness to
block *all* of AOL?  I can't imagine how it would
result in generally *good* press.  Also, I think it's
bad protocol to break the web (which kind of relies on
linking from one place to another).

As an aside, AOL is already blocking all links from
Livejournal.com (not just images):
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/29/2057242.shtml?tid=120&tid=187&tid=96&tid=99
.  Insert your own metaphor about walled gardens
and/or gated communities.

kq