[WikiEN-l] Michael again *sigh*

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sat Aug 30 03:25:53 UTC 2003

Some thoughts on the "Michael" affair:

With regards to contacting AOL, this would be most effective if done
thoroughly, and (as you mentioned) by someone with some official
connection to the Wikimedia Foundation (perhaps Jimbo).  Probably the
best thing to do would be for someone with access to server logs to dig
up a lengthy list of IPs and the times they were used.  Then the letter
to AOL could include a large amount of evidence of repeated vandalism
over an extended period despite multiple bannings.  Having a few dozen
IP address / time pairs might make it easier for them to track down the
user account as well, assuming they can be motivated to do something.

Email's probably the best first option, but if no response is
forthcoming perhaps a letter by registered mail might get some more
attention.

As for additional powers to deal with things like this, one useful and
power-neutral code addition would be something analogous to the
sysop-quick-rollback, but for page moves.  If I could click "unmove" to
undo the effect of a move, that'd make it easier to deal with these
things (we could just go down his user history and click "unmove" on all
of them).  Not being a PHP person, I'm not familiar with the wiki code,
so have no idea how easy this would be to implement.

-Mark