[WikiEN-l] Controversial user nicknames

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:14:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Delirium wrote:

> I think most Wikipedians would be happier with a license that required
> Wikipedia to be credited rather than five authors.  As it stands now,
> the republisher *has* to credit five authors, but does *not* have to
> credit Wikipedia at all.  They could give it their own name and not
> mention its connection to us at all, as long as they list the authors
> properly.  I think most of us would prefer the opposite -- that they be
> required to credit Wikipedia, and not be required to credit the
> individual authors.  But this would require a license change, which may
> be impossible at this point.

What gives you the impression that more than a handful of people want
this? As far as I'm aware, most people like to be credited for what they
do. What exactly is wrong with the idea of crediting people for what they
do, anyway?

Aside from the problem of having to credit people with offensive user
names, that is, which is really only a minor point at the moment, because
there are few of them around.

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |