[WikiEN-l] Controversial user nicknames

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:03:45 UTC 2003

>Ec wrote
>There are likely some who feel offended by it, but that is the personal
>choice of the humourless.

It is not merely a case of having no sense of humour if you are someone of
Kurdish descent and you find a contributor editing an article on the Kurds
'humously' using the name of the man who committed genocide against the
Kurds. Nor is it a matter of a sense of humour if a contributor to an
article on the Jewish holocaust called himself after a leading nazi, with
the edit history listing a line of edits by Adolf Hitler.  Or if someone as
a joke decided that all their edits to articles on child sex abuse use the
name of some notorious paedophile like Fr. Geoghan or Fr. Brendan Smyth.

We already have had users posing as Palestinian militants, as Stalinists, as
extreme militarist Americans, etc. We have had tactless and provocative
names used. It isn't a case of 'humourless' people taking offence. It is the
real danger that users may be put off wiki if they come on and find
distasteful, deliberately offensive names being used. 98% of names used as
inoffensive, It makes sense to plan now to ensure a small body of users
aren't used, rather than leaving it until damage has been done, offence
caused and people turned away before we deal with problem. (We have already
had one user, a multiple banned user, who came on any 'posed' as a
paedophile, asking if we had any 'nice' pictures of children to download.
Obviously he wasn't a real paedophile: if he was, he couldn't have drawn
attention to himself, just taken any images we had. It was part of that sick
user's game of trying to cause offence.)

JT