[WikiEN-l] Controversial user nicknames

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 04:48:32 UTC 2003

How about your real name, a real pseudonym or
a fanciful name? If you try and change your name
to something offensive, no judge will allow you to
do that, but most places allow people to use any name
they want without any formalities if the use of that
name is not meant to be confusing, misleading or
fraudulent. Using a famous name as a pseudonym
can be confusing, misleading and/or fraudulent.

How about a bright line rule: no historical or actual
public figures i.e. "absolute person of contemporary history"?
see:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights#Personality_rights_in_Germany

No one should be allowed to use a name that could
be considered offensive, misleading or fraudulent,
that includes IMHO calling onself Albert Einstein,
Beethoven or Blaise Pascal (amongst others).
Alex756