[WikiEN-l] /ban pages

Steve Vertigum utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 21:44:12 UTC 2003

--- Dante Alighieri <dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com>
wrote:
> Seriously though, I support the ending of the /ban
> pages practice. I think
> that /ban pages should be reserved for when a user
> has been banned already,
> not for when they've just been "nominated" for a
> ban. Perhaps if we had a
> page, [[Wikipedia:Nominations for banning]], that
> would help things along,
> then, if a ban is successful, the appropriate
> portion of that page could be
> copied to the /ban page.

I disagree with they should be used at all within the
user namespace -- either the user is still present and
this is an invasion of their "area"- - - or its just
going to be copied for cases pending (which is where
this whole thing came from.)

If there is problem usercase to be solved, I think
these be on meta as something like [[Case user:Name]].
This is best done by a neutral party, who can then
take specific complaints and list them.

So I say no /ban pages period -- so that nobody gets
in the habit.  If a username has been banned, then
their userpage itself has the ban notice or a link to
a page on meta with all the details.

-S-