[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 02:10:08 UTC 2003

--- Brion Vibber <vibber at aludra.usc.edu> wrote:
> <rant>
>
> Why in the heck is this thread still going on?
>
> Have people lost all common sense and decency? You
> should all be ashamed
> of yourselves.
>
> Deletion of pages through the "delete page" function
> as we have it
> currently *is* unwiki, because only a relatively
> small number of people
> can do it, and only a relatively small number of
> people can undo it. As
> long as that state of affairs exists (VOLUNTEERS TO
> RECODE THE DELETION
> SYSTEM ARE WELCOME) it is only polite to make
> reasonable efforts to notify
> people[1] that pages are under consideration for
> deletion by putting a
> note *on* the page in question.

It would make sense to let anyone delete articles, but
is all the history still available after an article is
deleted and undeleted? And if we let anyone delete
articles, I think a deleted article should have page
history show up of all the past edits. Like you said,
this would require a recoding of the deletion system,
and I don't know PHP or /mySQL, so I couldn't do that.