[WikiEN-l] Wikipeda 1.0 Paper Plus Extended

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 21 00:49:11 UTC 2003

Christopher Mahan wrote:

>I would personally like to see the capability of creating "custom"
>encyclopedias, similar to college books where the teacher of the
>particular course can decide which chapters to include and which not
>to.
>
>For Example:
>
>"Wikipedia On the Middle Ages" vs "Wikipedia on 20th century Pop
>Culture"

Isn't this what the Wikibooks fork is supposed to be about?

>This would be a lot easier to produce than an actual "paper"
>encyclopedia, would be available to anyone with a fast printer, would
>drastically reduce time-to-market, and would "paper" users to update
>particular sections instead of relying on the addendums.

If we're talking about specific articles anybody can print out as many
as he wants.

>This would also allow "enterprising folks" (us or them) to make a
>quick buck printing and delivering decent "actual paper" books
>without involving the Ws (Wikipedia and Wikimedia) into the whole
>publiching business, because it can be nasty and is fraught with
>potential loss.

Hmmm!  I wonder about the ethics of individuals who use the efforts of
hundreds of Wikipedians just to make a buck for themselves.

>(ever figured out what one could do with 80,000 extra
>copies of the "Lun-Mag" 2004 volume?).

I hope we're a little more level headed than to start with print runs of
80,000!

Ec