[WikiEN-l] Votes for RK (Votes for deletion)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Aug 19 17:56:47 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> A sysop nomination, like a deletion, must have near unanimous
> support to be successful.

That's an interesting perspective, and there's some truth in it, but
I'm not sure I agree.  My rule has been that I hand out sysop status
to pretty much anyone who asks for it, as long as they have some
decent history with us.  RK would fit that perfectly.

Now, as to whether his becoming a sysop would be _successful_ is of
course a different question.  There was some dissent over 172, and
he's still more than a bit controversial at times.  I think it's
pretty clear that, to avoid controversy, RK would need to avoid a lot
of deletions in areas that are of interest to him.

Part of the reason wiki works so well is that it isn't a process of
"o.k., you've earned trust, now here's your privileges", but rather a
process of "here's your privileges, now earn trust".

--Jimbo