[WikiEN-l] Wikipeda 1.0 Paper Plus

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Tue Aug 19 12:34:40 UTC 2003

At 05:41 AM 8/19/03 -0400, Lou wrote:

>One of the goals generally included in the Wiki 1.0 discussion is the
>creation of a paper Wikipedia. This sems to have an assumption that lot's
>of material gets dropped or summarized. I agree with the necessity of
>that, since paper must be more limited that a hard drive file to be
>practical. But what about those areas where we have lots more info than a
>general encyclopedia?
>
>This is a thought about some of the leftover material. I don't mean to
>imply a well thought out procedure, but a procedure outline sems the most
>direct way t explain this idea. So, here comes a three step procedure.
>
>1. Complete a list of possible additional paper books to go with the paper
>Wikipedia 1.0. Examples would be "The Encyclopedia of Rock", "The Enc. of
>Science Fiction, with Character Ibdex", "Star Trek Encyclopedia", "Enc. of
>American Biography", etc., etc.

Some of these exist, and probably more thorough than we could manage any
time soon.
There are very thorough encyclopedias of science fiction and of fantasy,
for example.
The online Encyclopedia of Arda is probably a better/more thorough work
than we'd have
if we pulled out all our Tolkien articles.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org
http://www.redbird.org