[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 22:42:04 UTC 2003

> So who is most harmed; the person who has to paste a
> small boilerplate message
> into an article, or the person who wrote that
> article or helped improve it,
> have the article mysteriously disappear one day
> without any obvious reason
> why?

What if the person doesn't check the page? Why not
just contact the author instead of a boilerplate thing
on the article, which, IMO, is just as bad a
defacement.

> Not placing proper notice on an article falling
> under the 7 day rule and
> marked for deletion, is akin to trying a person
> without bothering to tell
> them about the trial! Yeah sure it is on a publicly
> viewable page, but then
> so are court records; should society expect ordinary
> people to periodically
> check those records just to make sure they are not
> on trial for something?
> This lack of due process is very unwiki.

Deleting a page really isn't as bad as sending someone
to prison. And no one's arguing that we should make
any deletion records private.
LDan