[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 03:53:36 UTC 2003

Rick wrote:
>Now, I can't say that I DISAGREE with this policy
>(although I think that having to put this notice on
>every page to be deleted is a tad excessive), but
>when and where was this policy discussed?  Was
>it ONE PERSON who made the decision,
>UNILATERALLY, that nothing would be deleted
>unless his/her pet boilerplate was put onto the
>page in question?
>
>Such new policies need to be discussed, not just
>thrown out as a fait accompli.  Other sysops may
>just go ahead and delete pages without the
>boilerplate, and have the right to do so, since this
>"policy" is only one person's decision, and not the
>agreement of the users of Wikipedia as a whole.

For Gods sake, this is the FOURTH place you have posted the SAME question!
Instead of duplicating four different threads, how about we continue this on
the relevant talk page where some discussion has already taken place:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Votes_for_deletion

Not placing the notice a page which is being considered for deletion and then
deleting it, is denying the author (most often a newbie) due process. The
Admin that wrote this was simply clarifying an implied policy by naturally
extending our written policies of having an open and transparent process.

A notice is a no-brainer in light of this and should not be surprising. I was
simply informing people of this policy when they were not following it. In
retrospect the Admin who wrote this should have advertised the change a bit
to see if anybody disagreed.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)