[WikiEN-l] Watchlist

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 21:04:19 UTC 2003

can you please write an improved routine for the
>watchlist that's a lot faster and less painful for the database on long
>watchlists than the current one? Thanks.

Hey Brion, I'm not criticising you. You do a damn good job keeping wiki
together. But I do think a one hour link is completely useless. All its
information will be available on the Recent Changes anyway. BTW I now use my
watchlist set to longer parameters via my bookmarks. Could we issue a
grading system for watchlists. ie. Will appear on watchlist, MAY appear on
watchlist but could be disconnected centrally for periods to avoid system
overload, with people asked to use the second as default and only tick the
'will' button for articles they really do want to keep track on, with each
user having a maximum number of 'Will' ticks, say 100. That way, we could be
guaranteed a watchlist of more than an hour for /key/ articles, with a full
list functional when the system can cope with it. Is it also possible to
redesign a program so that the watchlist only contains the link to where the
article is, rather than links to all redirects people may have entered.

I don't know if any of this is practicable. It is just a theoretical
suggestion.

JT