[WikiEN-l] Watchlist

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 19:37:59 UTC 2003

>james-
>
> >> I've set the default cutoff to one hour
>
> > That is driving me MAD!!! WHY??? The only reason I use my watchlist is
>when
> > I log on after being off for 10 of 15 hours to see what pages I am
> > interested in have been worked on in my absence by others. Instead I end
>up
> > being told what was worked on in the last hour, which I can see from the
> > blooming Recent Changes anyway! I end up having to do a second watchlist
> > search having reset the perameters. An hour-long search is worse than
> > useless.
>
>I agree, the 1 hour default is kind of silly. We really need to find a
>solution that allows watching thousands of articles without delay. Since
>Brion is an avid watchlist user himself I'm sure he'll optimize it some
>more, but if not, I'll try to see what I can do.
>
>Regards,
>
>Erik

Thanks Eric,
The irony is I purged my watchlist, cutting over a thousand articles from
it. But it still is very slow and when it finally shows up on the screen,
with the crazy 1 hour limit, I often end up with a grand total of 1 on the
list or sometimes none, requiring me to do a second search with a longer
paremeter. BTW 'recent changes' is causing all sorts of problem to my
browser. Sometimes it takes so long the browser Camino times out (I have
already had to stop using my favourite browser because it constantly timed
out when in wiki). Either that or the browser gets stuck putting the page
together and I end up either unable to use any other pages for anywhere else
in the net because the cursor is spinning as it waits and waits and waits
for wiki to throw up the page, or out of frustration if I want to use
something else I end up having to 'force quit' the browser completely. The
best of luck with finding a solution.

JT