[WikiEN-l] I give up

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:19:18 UTC 2003

RickK wrote in part:

>As it now stands, if we have both [[Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?]]
>and [[Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?]] (I don't know about the last one),
>we definitely don't need [[Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego?]], but
>which one should it redirect to?

Those keeping track of everything should know that
all of these 2-day-old stubs have been deleted,
and the material is now all on [[Carmen Sandiego]].
But let's pretend that [[Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego?]]
had been around for a long time and couldn't be deleted,
and let's pretend that [[Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?]]
and [[Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?]] were substantial articles
that we wanted to keep separate from just [[Carmen Sandiego]].
/Then/ where should [[Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego?]] redirect?

The answer is that it shouldn't redirect to either of these.
It should instead simply redirect to [[Carmen Sandiego]],
the main article from which you could get to the others.

An alternative is to make it a disambiguation page,
but that's wise only if it's been used for a long time
and you expect people to continue to link to it by accident.
Otherwise, a redirect to [[Carmen Sandiego]] is in order.

Of course, in the present situation, where the page is 2 days old,
outright deletion should be no problem (and this was in fact done).

-- Toby