[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Shepherds

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 18:02:32 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:
>For those worried that "firefighter" tends to imply
>that a wave of newbies is a problem (a raging fire),
>just remember that it was originally the Wikipedia
>"militia".

The fires created are not the newbies themselves, but the damage a small part
of them do (either intentional or not). "Guide" is still too paternal for my
taste. In my part of the world at least, firefighters play the role of
general emergency personell (providing extraction and medical assistance at
car crashes and such) and only on relatively rare occasions fight actual
fires. IMO that makes them a very positive symbol.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)