[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Shepherds

Steve Vertigo utilitymuffinresearch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 04:24:26 UTC 2003

--- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As a recovering Assemblies of God/700 Club
> member/Young Republican, that
> sounds rather paternal; so everybody else are sheep?

Im sorry -- I wish you well on your recovery :)
The way I would answer that is this -- "shepherdship"
doesnt imply that people are lemmings...

Sheep allow people to lead them because theyre
domesticable -- domesticability -- as one of its
criteria -- requires a supplantable heirarchy.  Its a
relationship -- not a blind sort of groupthink.

To deal with the idea on more "scriptural" grounds --
as an analogy the passage where God gives man
"dominion over the beasts in the land birds in the air
fish in the sea" --- "Dominion" sounds kina like
domination -- in fact what it means is shepherdship --

There are good shepherds and bad ones... Generally we
aspire to be gooder ones. :) "Guardianship" in that
passage might be a better word, perhaps. But
"guardian" loses its teaching aspect.

-S-
Respectfully
-S-