[WikiEN-l] Re: Search function (google)

John Robinson john at freeq.com
Mon Aug 4 18:36:49 UTC 2003

 >A month max, IIRC. At the moment it's just under a week out of date:
the google
 >cached version of [[breakfast]], for example, is from the 29th July.

The google cached version of [[Deng Xiaoping]] on the other hand would
seem to be 32 months out of date (i.e., created 21 Oct 2001, and
apparently never cached by google at all, ever).

 >Nope. You want the "search this site" toolbar button*

This instruction should be in the null-result page, then, as most new
users probably don't subscribe to the mailing list.

Or better yet, we could have a google search box there, as we did last
time local search was turned off.

As it is now, if we're lucky, what happens after someone searches for
"battle of hastings" (lowercase) is that they click on "Edit this page"
and put a short stub in [[Battle of hastings]] which will later have to
be merged, leaving a redirect that will be useless when (if?) the
search function is turned back on, because the search function isn't
case-sensitive.

In not-so-best case scenarios, they fill the page with junk, or click
on the google link, do the same search, go to www.battle1066.com and
never see Wikipedia again.

Yes my original post was sarcastic--it was meant to be.  I had just
read another post which seemed to actually posit that we're just as
well off using google.  And that simply is not the case.  Getting
search turned back should be the number-one coding priority (as an
aside, I notice that the server quite often drags even with it off).

-Hephaestos