[WikiEN-l] A plea for sanity in capitalisation from the coalface

Tony Wilson list at redhill.net.au
Sun Apr 27 21:34:11 UTC 2003

Ray writes: We do have Wikipedia rules ..... The burden of proof falls
on the shoulders of those who seek to institute an exception to those
rules.  I don't think that they have carried that burden, and their
approach is "for the birds". ;-)

This, however completely to come to grips with the prior situation:
i.e., that key phrase I already cited from the naming conventions: "or
is otherwise almost always capitalized". So no, Ray, your attempt to
reverse the burden of proof will not wash. No-one is talking about
making "exceptions to the normal rules", we are talking about NOT
making exceptions to the normal rule that species names are
capitalised. There is a very good reason for this rule, namely the
ambiguity problem, which is why it exists in the first place.
Tony Wilson
(Tannin)