[WikiEN-l] JoanB is DW

Tony Wilson list at redhill.net.au
Thu Apr 17 13:31:40 UTC 2003

Jimbo posted to support Erik's suggestions:

> 1) Allow sysops to check the IP of new* contributors
> 2) Allow sysops to block new* contributors by IP/name
> 3) Have IP blocks expire after a definable amount of time
> 4) Use an additional cookie-based "soft blocking" mechanism that should
> fool the technically challenged
> 5) In order to increase sysop accountability, log all sysop actions
>in the  recent_changes (e.g. user:foo banned, page xyz protected)

Just adding my support for these very sensible suggestions. On first
sight I can't see the cookie thing working - it would fool any of my
better-informed customers for about 30 seconds - but then again, it
would completely bamboozle a good 50% of the others and it can't do any
real harm, so why not?