[WikiEN-l] Using RachelCorrie's name as a user name - sickening

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Apr 17 12:26:36 UTC 2003

The use of the name is tasteless, yes.  Can we recommend that this
person change the name?  Possibly they had not thought through the
tastelessness of it all.

I think that, without exception, all of the Rachel Corrie images need
to go away.  They have not been released under the GNU GPL, and "fair
use" for a single photograph like this is stretched.  We're trying to
generally take a fairly strict stance on "fair use" issues.

I suggest that this is a case where we need to tread lightly.  Rachel
Corrie is clearly a very emotional topic for a lot of people.
Wikipedia absolutely needs an _article_ about her, not a _shrine_.
But emotions are running high right now.

--Jimbo