[WikiEN-l] POV diatribe in "censorship" article

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Apr 14 15:37:50 UTC 2003

Someone -- Steve I think -- wrote a POV diatribe entitled [[Censorship in the United States]]. I deleted the text and replaced it with a neutral stub.

Then someone reverted the article to the original diatribe, whereupon I reverted to Notheruser's version. I am just about to lock the article and bow out of further edits, if this nonsense persists.

A talk comment raised the amusing but irrelevant point that I had seemingly "censored" the censorship article. Not true.

I deleted a diatribe. It's not an encyclopedia article. There should be an encyclopedia article.

The US definitely does have censorship. I know quite a bit about it. The military censors news on the war. Courts censor "obscene" materials. School libraries, in a way, censor books by refusing to carry them -- although the public library in the same town might carry it.

One might even argue that news media censor non-liberal viewpoints, by refraining from any mention of them -- but that is probably stretching the word *censorship* a bit too far. There's no law against printing, mailing, selling or reading conservative newspapers or magazines.

Let's write an article on censorship -- but let's write it AS AN ENCYCLOPEDIA ARTICLE, not as a pro-censorship or anti-censorship diatribe.

Ed Poor