[WikiEN-l] Proposal for video format

Eric Demolli demolli at unice.fr
Thu Apr 10 23:09:12 UTC 2003

> Audio is another matter; are there freely available players for Windows,
> Unix, and MacOS that can play files encoded as your describe?

So far I've testted Xvid with silent video it works fine.

MPEG-4 is standard but I had problem with the FourCC code in an avi file.

MPEG-4 is an ISO standard but there seems to be some controversy about
patents, who knows more ?

With the Windows Media Player sound will work if you have the Xvid and the
Ogg/Vorbis codecs installed
With Linux it depend which player you use but the best one are now codec
compatible with  Windows
With a Mac well I don't know....

Who can clarify the MPEG-4 patent issue ?

See http://www.xvid.org