[WikiEN-l] Re: Michael's threats

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 08:33:15 UTC 2003

Brion wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 10:26, Daniel Mayer wrote:
>> >Please see [[Talk:Crass]].  In Michael's new
>> >one more time. I'll pound on your neck, and smash you
>> >into pieces and kill you Zoe."
>> >
>> >Zoe
>>=20
>> Could one of the developers get this creep's IP so
>> that Zoe can call the cops? This is well above being a
>> simple bannable offense. Death threats can never be
>> justified.
>
>That's certainly highly inappropriate on Wikipedia,

Oh? I thought the current consensus was to allow Admins the ability to view
the IP number of logged-in users and the only reason this hasn't been done
yet is because it is a low priority right now for developers (nothing wrong
with that - so long as developers don't mind fetching IPs every once in a
while).  And since when do users have the right stay truely anonymous (sic no
access to IP address data) after threatening anther user anyway? But maybe I
missed something (it wouldn't be the first time - I'm so dense sometimes), so
please enlighten me Brion.

>and quite probably
>contravenes their ISP (AOL)'s terms of service as well.

I fail to see how finding out the IP number that this user was using at the
time of making the death threat would contravene AOL's terms of service. That
is unless those terms protect the right of their users to make such threats.
I seriously doubt this.

>If Zoe would
>like to complain to AOL on this matter, by all means do so.

That narrows it down to about 30 million people. Better than nothing I guess.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma
The usual at [[March 24]]