[WikiEN-l] 172--what happened

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Tue Apr 1 20:03:17 UTC 2003

>>>Danny wrote: "Trolling is a form of vandalism. This could justly be
interpretted as trolling. (I am reminded of the constant edit wars with
Helga, which cost Wikipedia quite a lot in terms of time and people who were
disgusted and
left)

Danny is absolutely right.. at least to the degree that a vague
term can, somehow (in some vague way) be somewhat related to another vague
term... thats all. The idea sounds very very Orwellian, and I would suggest
it comes as a natural result of babysitter's fatigue, from dealing with
people like Helga and Susan.. Michael... etc... However, its not all on
anyone shoulders. A degree of trust in our fellow man seems to be necessary
to break away from our concerns, and allow others to fill roles we had
previously found for ourselves... Myself, have to admit that the desire to
increasingly escalate the efficiency of reprimanding measures can be
inviting... but theres a slippery-slope quality to this kind of thinking.

Incidentally, I had a reasonably civil conversation with Michael... I said I
like beans, and he said "me too"... which kinda puts a hole in the notion
that he's not capable of civility. -SV