[WikiEN-l] Shouldn't we change BC->BCE?

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Nov 23 16:58:36 UTC 2002

Anthere wrote:

>among others, see
>http://www.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-October/thread.html
>
>and
>
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Centuries

snip from that page:

 > Using the terms BCE and CE are not obfuscatory nor are they fads.
More and more scientific and scholarly works rely on this nomenclature,
because they manage to accept convention (e.g. non-Christians and
Christians alike use the same calendar) without privileging Christ or
the belief in the divinity of Jesus. <

I would probably be in favour of "BCE", but I am not an historian, so
I'm not in a position to assess how much "BCE" is used by academics
compared to "BC" -- but that should probably be our guide.

- t