[Toolserver-l] Five questions

Stefan Kühn kuehn-s at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 07:54:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I work since two weeks on the tool server. In my directory home I have
extract the English and German dump. So that I can scan the dumps for
geocoordinates. At the moment I have a Perl script for this work. The
results is the KML for Google Earth and a CSV for many other services.

Now I see the most of you use the MySQL-database with all the nice
tables. I have no experience with MySQL, but I know SQL.

Question 1:
Can I use Perl to get some data from the database? (I work since three
weeks with Perl and CGI, so I need a small example.)

Question 2:
Can I use a SQL-Question with perl? For example: I want the category's
of page "xy" in DE.

Question 3.
When I scan all articles from the Dump (XML-File) for coordinates I need
with Perl in EN 45 minutes and in DE 15 minutes. If I use in the future
hopefully the MySQL-database I think this process will be to long for
the database. So that all other services have a problem. Is this right?
Or is the power of the database strong enough for this full-text search?

Question 4.
After the full-text search I will put the results in the database.
Therefore I need also a Perl-example. Please help me.

Question 5.
If I can not do the full-text search at the MySQL-database I think it
would be very helpful to make one directory for all users with all dumps
(XML-files). So that every user can use this dumps. At the moment I have
the current dump (DE+EN) in my home-directory, but I am sure that other
users also have dumps. What did you think about this?

Thanks,
Stefan (sk)

--
Stefan Kühn