[Toolserver-l] Hemlock

DaB. wp at daniel.baur4.info
Sat Sep 16 21:31:59 UTC 2006

Hello all,

the moving to hemlock is ready. The only problem was softlinks, which I
could not copy. Please create it again (was only a small number).

The OS is now a Debian Testing and I think that the most of us are more
familare with linux then with solaris (which is of corse the better
OS ;)).

Hemlock is used for run all user-tools. Zedler host "only" the database.
So if you run mysql-querys, you run it on zedler from hemlock. For this
reason, there is a direct-network-cable between zedler and hemlock. So
the new sql-host-name for your tools is "zedler.ts-local".

Because the disc of hemlock is a little bit small, there are only 63GB
for all users together. Thats calced ~800MB per person at the moment. I
think, that should be enought for the most user. After moving all
accounts, 68% of the disc is still free.
We plan to move some disc-space from zedler to hemlock later. It should
be for "archivedata" like dumps. I plan to use the partion on zedler,
which is used for the userdatas at the moment

The backups will be on zedler too.

Hemlock has 8GB-RAM and 2 64-bit Athlons.

There are some other changes: The php.cgi-file is not longer needed, the
apache use suphp. I have created a .forward-file (r/w by user, r by
mail), for these user, which haven't have one. So you can know use "mail
*username*" for writing a eMail to another user

There are new-stuff too of corse. Hemlock has an subversion-daemon (it's
a modern cvs-system) for version-controll. I have created a reposory for
each user. It can be find in subversion in your home. To access it, you
use
svn+ssh://hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org/home/*username*/subversion/
(Please google yourself for a howto in your language, if needed). You
have read and write-acess to every reposory on hemlock, but I'm hope,
that you ask the reposory-owner first, before you write something in his
reposory (and crashed it ;) (reading is nevertheless ok). There is a
possibility for anonym-reading for everyone (inclusiv
non-toolserver-people) too. The adress is just
svn://hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org/*username*/subversion/ (without
"ssh"). For this reason, you should never insert a password (for mysql
or something) in your reposory.
The subversion-system is also browsable on
http://hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org/websvn/.

A secound newstuff is the bugzilla, which runs on hemlock. The adress is
http://hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/index.cgi. I plan to
create a "product" for every user on the toolserver. The specific tools
gets "components". These components can created by the owner of the
product. Because every user is the owner of his/her product, you can
create the components for all your tools yourself. For creation of your
product, send your username and the name of one of your projects to
bugzilla at hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org. There is also a "product" for the
toolserver itself to message the roots about errors and bugs.

The address tools.wikimedia.de will change tomorrow to hemlock, but it
can take a while until all user use the new IP.

I'm realy sure, that I had not installed all needed programms. So if you
miss one, write me a private eMail or open a bug in the bugzilla (thats
prefered).

I personal hope, that you enjoy your new home and that I'm have not made
too much mistakes :).

Sincerly,
DaB.