[Toolserver-l] Troubles with reading Articles

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 21:04:03 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:
>Uh, what?! I'm sympathetic to your complains in general, but WTF?! You
>are *giving* us one week? Or what? You know, there's no *right* to be
>able to use the toolserver, or to have it available at all. If you don't
>like it, help to fix it, or go away.
> Btw: both major issues I described above are based on technical
> problems. Yes, they can be overcome, but it's not simple. It takes time
> and effort, which someone will have to donate. How about you?

I didn't respond to this bit at first, but I've reconsidered.

The above is a load of bullshit.

What 'technical issue' prevented anyone from responding *at all* to my
question to the list about text access on March 6th
(http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/private/toolserver-l/2006-March/000143.html)
almost a month ago?  Or the numerous times I've inquired on IRC before
then?

Yes, there are things that need to be done, but we have competent and
interested folks offering to help and they are ignored. So don't call
this a technical issue.

You are correct when you say "There's no *right* to be able to use the
toolserver", but you must understand why some of us may be a little
irate when we've invested so much time working on things only to have
our work effectively sabotaged because no one cares enough to even
reply to questions on status or offers to help.

Had the wikimedia developers not ignored my request for an OAI link
some months ago, I would already be offering an alternative service
*myself*.

So don't call it a lack of help or a technical issue, because it
simply is not. This is purely an organizational problem: We are
failing to empower the people who are able and willing to do the work.