[Toolserver-l] Troubles with reading Articles

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Thu Mar 23 14:32:48 UTC 2006

Hi all

Ok, I'll lock down access to the wikitext - might take a few days,
though. I plan to do this as follows:

* have a whitelist of trusted IPs (i.e. 127.0.0.1, etc)
* have a list of tokens (passwords) for access from other IPs.

Alternatively, this could be done with .htaccess. But I think I'll put
it into the PHP code.

> the best thing is, if everyone uses the script itself... I don't know in
> which language it is written, but access should be possible from every
> other language, maybe it could be published as a php class to access the
> database...

The problem with this is db access rights: anyone using the cache db
directly needs write access to the table. This is a mess to maintain.
While it's the nicest way from the developers pov, it's not so good from
an admin pov.

The easiest solution is to have some type of daemon that can be accessed
via a simple interface. HTTP is the simplest to implement, but as I
explained in my previous posts, i have also experimented with other methods.

> Remember: please publish all your code under a free licence and make it
> accessible for everyone ;).

A pretty old version of my stuff is available at
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/downloads/, but the cache stuff is not
in there yet. I have to tweak my bundling scheme a bit more, it's too
complicated...

-- Daniel

--
Homepage: http://brightbyte.de