[Textbook-l] wikiversity and private universities with multiple models

John Goes johnwgoes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 01:49:35 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I'm a new to wikiversity, although I have been using wikipedia for quite
some time now.  I actually stumbled on the wikiversity site today as I
independently thought of an idea for an "internet university" and have been
doing research on the idea, only to find that there have been efforts to do
something similar for some time.

I feel like I'm jumping into the middle of a discussion that I haven't heard
much of, so please forgive me for my ignorance of most things that have been
suggested and tossed about before.

I get the sense that the idea for Wikiversity is rather vague and nebulous
at the moment, with many conflicting ideas of where it should go and how it
should evolve, especially vis-a-vis accreditation.

The vision of a free wikiversity for everyone to attend, a respectable and
revolutionary new way to learn and receive high degrees, while very
egalitarian, seems like a very difficult task precisely because the idea is
so centralized.  Every university, whether explicit or implict, has its own
values and "opinions" on what constitutes a good education.  Any one
organization is never going to be able to please everyone and fit everyone,
even if nested in the internet.

The approach I had originally considered was in reaction to MITs
revolutionary decision to share their curriculum, lectures, ect with the
public, effectively allowing one an MIT education if one applied oneself.

The founding of wikiversity is clearly in response to a sense among many of
the vast potential of a new model of learning.  Rather than arguing about
the exact form of wikiversity, I think there is great potential for private
setups, whether they be non for profit or otherwise, which can utilize
resources such as wiki and MIT.

My own idea is based on the system of Reed College.  At Reed students
prepare in their first three years, through classes, for the writing of
their thesis, which is a requirement for graduation.  For the entire senior
year they write the thesis with the help and supervision of one or more
professors.  A successful online university based on such a system might
require academic supervisors, a virtual classroom in which to discuss the
course material, and teachers, primarily present to assist the student when
the student requests help, also serving an evaluative purpose.

I see no reason why a student with a well written and perhaps important
thesis should have a problem getting a degree; although the practical
problems of this demand a creative solution.

This is one idea and I'm sure there are many other possible formats, as
there are many kinds of learners with their own goals and methods.  I think
wikiversity would be most effective if it was able to operate in conjunction
with this and other private efforts.

Respectfully,
John Goes