[Textbook-l] Rewrite of Wikibooks:What is Wikibooks

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Jun 18 16:40:09 UTC 2006

John Pozniak wrote:

>I have for a long time espoused the idea that once a book reaches a certain size, it should be given more and more autonomy. This includes creating its own policies, its own manual of style, its own naming conventions, and even overall control on its own content.
>
>John (gentgeen)

I generally agree with this sentiment, and have been particularly
annoyed when a VfD was posted about a particular module, such as recipes
from the Cookbook or the "What is gravity" module of Wikijunior Solar
System.  I have never seen these modules properly resolved in the VfD
forum, and instead is mainly is a place to roll the fight out and aire
dirty laundry.  More akin to a barroom brawl that runs onto the street
and into neighboring businesses.  It is never pretty, and the feelings
are usually so charged and divided by the time it gets to the VfD page
that the issue doesn't really get resolved.  A plea for a neutral
moderator to come into the discussion might be in order from time to
time, but in that case a direct plea to an admin would be more
reasonable, or a quick note on the Staff Lounge.

--
Robert Scott Horning