[Textbook-l] Rewrite of Wikibooks:What is Wikibooks

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Sat Jun 17 01:36:19 UTC 2006

Jon wrote:

>I don't intend my draft to be perfect - please go ahead and improve it.
>
>All constructive comments would be welcome!

A couple of potential problems you may wish to think about.   I am not a
wikibookean because I am not a textbook writer.   I have used some of
your books and left a few comments or questions occasionally in
technical areas I was studying.   One caveat, some of your authors have
started advocating no external links so your "textbooks" look like
traditional textbooks.   If this becomes the prevailing norm I will no
longer use  your "textbooks".   I will either buy a "real" "textbook" or
find another free source online linking around to augmenting or better
or different online information so I can cross check things that I do
not understand well or that conflict with my growing understanding of
the subject material.

**  "A textbook is....

    * a is a book which is actually usable in an existing class.

That class may be at school, college, university, a professional
training centre or an adult education centre. We would expect the
subject to be taught in a number of learning institutions, one in the
whole world is not enough."

This is a better definition in my view than some interpretations I have
seen that presumed the "textbook" must be currently used in an active
class or used in one previously.   Obviously this narrow interpretation
limits your community members and bookshelf assets to existing textbooks
and textbook writers.   I assumed at the time the narrow defination was
being applied in some kind of wheel war against a perceived opponent but
I did not bother to check out what was really going on.   Merely noted
that if this idiocy spread then the wikibooks site would probably be of
very little use in the near future to me or much of Wikiversity, which
is currently viewed by many as being on the leading edge of
experimenting with new modes of educational materials and self or group
study activities that are not traditional formal classes.

Perhaps a exposition on the time frames that draft outlines or materials
can remain in place UNUSED by courses somewhere while the project lead
seeks sufficient expertise and skill and applicable knowledge from your
community to get the book to it "textbook" status which complies with
specific format requirements and attract a known "course" using it
rather than a few students dropping in occasionally via the web.

In my view the above definition for inclusion is still severely lacking
as I had many undergraduate classes which cited books which were not
"textbooks" as useful references in the subject matter for auxillary
reading.   In my view almost any wikibook written in a somewhat
objective matter or well labeled subjective manner (the author's
objective view of the universe vs. Jimbo's communities' objective
consensus view of the universe hereafter referred to as NPOV) can be
useful in some type of learning activity by someone at some time.   As
an uninformed, not a member, of your author based community; I would
expect to find such a book at a site named "wikibooks.org".  No doubt
someone will eventually start a "not a textbook wikibook.org" sometime
and the larger audience's needs or wants for reference books or other
books will be met elsewhere.

**  "a book written in a similar style to books usable in existing
classes and which is about a subject worthy of study"

You presume to decide for your future users and authors what subject of
human knowledge is worthy of study and what style or presentation is
effective?    You may find this limits and taints your community of
qualified academic writers.

Not a large problem for me except some militants from your community are
very attached to the concept that "textbooks" that evolve at Wikiversity
shall be relocated to "Wikibooks".   NO DUPLICATION of materials.   If
your editors subsequently decide a "textbook" is not worth studying it
is going to have a detrimental impact on the Wikiversity community and
its customers or students or participants when it is deleted.   Sure it
can be recovered if it has not been purged completely but who needs the
hassle of convincing some Wikibookean bureaucrat or Wikimedia Foundation
member to give it back or undelete at Wikiversity?

My personal solution is that Wikiversity can maintain whatever materials
locally that its active study groups or community members choose as long
as they are not illegal according to Florida state law or U.S. Federal
law (copyright issues, slanderous material, subversive calls for
revolution, movement data on troops or encryption codes ...
treason/espionage) or the negotiated terms of tenancy with the Wikimedia
Foundation (NPOV, No Nazi propraganda, etc.).   No doubt some local
community standards will evolve that detail what are appropriate
materials.  Wikiversity does not need them installed by fiat from
external sources.

**

      "The "not a duplicate" criterion

Forking is where a Wikibook on some topic is copied internally in
Wikibooks. We should only have one textbook on each subject that is
directed at the same audience. For example, having a book on Chemistry
for students sitting a specific exam in the UK at aged 18, and another
one on Chemistry for students sitting a specific exame in the US at aged
18 is reasonable. Having two textbooks on Chemistry both directed at
students sitting the same exam is not."

This above is a silly policy.   As a student when I hit a subject that
is tough going for me personally often the next thing I do is buy a
couple of more "textbooks" and "references" on the subject.  Different
people think, organize, and study in different ways.   There can be no
"only one best" policy unless you plan on toggling between paradigms as
the collective community membership ebbs and sways with the tides and
sunspot cycles.

When two authors with diametrically opposed ideas on the best order of
subject matter for students with a given background show up or a
professor teaching four different courses of the same material to
sections of students with known different backgrounds  how are you going
to decide between the two or provide four different books on the same
subject?   The loser will undoubtedly be a loss of a potentially
valuable community member.   I note that you specifically deal with the
target audience issue and this is a big improvement over the existing de
facto standard that I have seen in used as justification for deletion
that there can be only one "textbook" per subject.   I have seen this
used or advocated in cases that were not forks.  I am not sure what was
really going on.  Perhaps it was intended as a temporary policy to jerk
the collective quality of "textbooks" up in a specific area to impress,
amaze, retain users as future Wikibookeans.   All it did for me was give
a chill and memories of Nazi bookburning on TV and some religious types
and some scientific types advocating exclusion of specific books and
subjects in American schools. Only approved books allowed on campus.

When an author shows up for the book used throughout the Ivy League and
most of the Northwest on a specific technical subject and generously
FDL's his book for all future generations covering heat, mass and
momentum transfer  (3 courses in one textbook) because the equations are
all similar and it is better than two books treating singular subject
but worse than the remaining one how are you going to decide which books
to delete and which to keep?

When the existing community starts to thin out to only existing authors
using their "textbooks" in their own classes is this a good thing or bad
thing for wikibooks?  Do you want only a few good people or a large
community of volunteers?  Keep in mind most "textbooks" published
professionally have a huge cast of paid and unpaid persons involved in
their creation and maintenance.   Pick up any "textbook" and read the
credits and foward typically written by the authors attempting to give
all credit that is due and the usual ending note appologising for any
people they forgot or inadvertently omitted send us a letter reminder
and we will put you in the credits for the next edition.

Hope the above is useful to you.   If not perhaps it will earn it
bandwidth by stimulating better wording for your basic policies as written.

In conclusion, it was a fairly clear writeup of my dim understanding of
what the currrent policies are intended to be at Wikibooks.   Once again
I am not a Wikibookean, only an occasional user of your ever improving
products.

Thanks for your efforts!

Sincerely,
Michael R. Irwin