[Textbook-l] Response to Rob's last post

Jon thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 19:49:10 UTC 2006

I'd like to comment on some things in Rob's last post.

First, where are examples of people moving How-to material that you believe ought to
remain in Wikibooks to Wikia with a link thereto? I was not aware this was happening.

Second, I do not believe the responses to your suggestion about the possibility of having
a textbook on Doom are consistent with your account here. I think the relevant
discussions are all here:
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Staff_lounge/Archive_19#Gaming_manual_as_a_textbook

You made a suggestion, Jimbo showed scepticism, but also noted that he was willing
to be convinced otherwise. User:Jtvisona (which is not a Wikibooks user account name)
then suggested that there were serious courses on it (without offering proof). After that,
RobinH, Dragontamer, Lord Voldemort, hagindaz and myself noted that such a textbook
would be possible and would be ok on Wikibooks. Although there were notes that the
current Doom Wikibook was not such a textbook and that it would take a lot of time
to write a textbook on Doom so that you may not wish to see it through, and there was
a suggestion that a wider scope, to consider other strategy games, might be better.

The other commenters, Garrett and Gerard Foley, did not comment on the point explicitly,
but their tone (and the knowledge that they are both keen gamers) suggests they
are not against the idea. Jimbo did not comment again. I therefore think your statement
that there was the "substantial resistance and even outright rejection" that you say there
was.

Kind regards

Jon
(jguk)