[Textbook-l] Game Guides

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 04:52:39 UTC 2006

Under full assumption of good faith of everyone involved, I would also
like to say that I find the fact that 3 out of 5 current Wikimedia
Board members (or 3 of 4 active ones) are founders of or working for
the for-profit Wikia.com, which hosts gameinfo.wikia.com (a wiki for
the kind of game guides that are being removed from Wikibooks),
somewhat problematic. Jimmy himself going into Wikibooks and
effectively making policy is even more worrying (I know he would argue
that it's been policy all along, but the fact is that these guides
would be sticking there without higher intervention).

There's another GFDL wiki out there, strategywiki.net, for these kinds
of guides. Given that StartegyWiki is more active than GameInfo
anyway, I would be more comfortable with the whole situation if Wikia
made a deliberate decision of its own to move guides from GameInfo to
StrategyWiki. It seems like a good free content thing to do (build
communities wherever there's the most activity), and would alleviate
concerns about outside appearance of the whole thing.

I also reiterate my suggestion to rename Wikibooks to WikiTextbooks.

Erik