[Textbook-l] wikiversity licensing

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Aug 25 19:26:31 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:
> I really don't know anything about CC's Lawrence Lessig.
> Given the internecine political battles between "free" and "open",
> does anybody know how RMS and Lessig feel about each other?

I have no idea, actually.

But I know that Lessig wants the CC licenses to be widely used, and I
think that he'd be happy to make changes for the purpose of
'interoperability' with FDL.  That's just a guess on my part, I don't
actually know until I ask.

I'm actually just waiting to ask both of them until I'm sure I've got
it all straight in my mind and can present it well.

I personally always try to say 'GNU-free' rather than 'open content',
even though the Wikipedia front page says 'open content'.  I have no
particular political axe to grind, so I use the term that doesn't seem
to upset anyway.  :-)

--Jimbo