[Textbook-l] textbook licensing

Sanford Forte siforte at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 21 17:01:10 UTC 2003

Again, I must admit, the various licensing combinations and permutations
brought out by Karl, Toby, Mav, Jimbo, and others are mind-bending (for me
anyway). Rather than go on about this any further, and save time/bandwidth,
I would appreciate any pointers (links, etc.) to the best descriptions of
the differences between open source licenses. Send me anything you deem
valuable.

Also, I trust that when the pilot finally gets off the ground, that folks
here will have done their level best to see that the finished books are able
to be taken up by schools and used without requiring the intervention of
copyright attorneys. That's the bottom line. The public education sector is
laden with so much bureaucracy, and rules, that any potential problem
becomes magnified - often to the point of paralysis. In sum, that's what we
want to avoid; I trust the folks in the project are sensitive to that.
Thanks again for your efforts, and dedication to making this project happen.

Sanford