[Textbook-l] wikiversity licensing

Sanford Forte siforte at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 21 05:56:48 UTC 2003

This is a good idea. The only limitation I can see is as follows. Let's say
that WP creates a geometry text, in modular format. There are 100
modules...7 of the modules are GNU-limited. This would require that those 7
modules have alternate modules for that material, especially if it was
crucial to the whole geometry curriculum for that grade.

Karl's concern about maximum flexibility and extensibility is very valid,
and should definitely be heeded - probably more for this sector of
publishing, than most. If a school district, or a private printer, want to
satisfy the general frameworks required by a specific state, *all* of the
material should be able to clear, *without* hassles. Otherwise, even though
the material is superior, has more variety, etc. it will be lobbied against
as a *barrier to entry* for open source texts used in public schools.

Of course, it won't matter so much in private schools or home schools
(they're more flexible, w/o tons of bureaucracy). For maximum impact,
*every* basic curriculum taken on by WP should have *all* materials
available as non-GNU-limited...even if that means starting from scratch with
some modules for which there is already GNU-limited content available.

I can just see a sales representative form Prentice Hall (all the way up to
the CEO of that company's textbook division) wining and dining textbook
committee people from various states and bringing stuff like this up just
before srucial votes are cast to accept or not accept certain books for
district consideration.

Also, I can see the 'copyright police', prompted by commercial publishers,
trying to intimidate privae and home schools into doing certain things with
GNU-limited material. This industry knows how to use 'dirty'tricks to get
its way.

Yes, it's a hassle, but it's reality. So if we want to dent the textbook
oligopoly, we have to be able to present a seamless product.

Sanford