[teampractices] an article about remote work and another about self-organizing teams

Joel Aufrecht jaufrecht at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 31 05:06:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Grace Gellerman <ggellerman at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Below are two articles about modern work that I found helpful:

A less recent article on self-organizing teams:
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2016/12/20/three-common-
> misunderstandings-of-self-organized-teams/#8a9726b195e0
>

>From that article, I clicked to The 7 Levels of Delegation
<https://medium.com/@jurgenappelo/the-7-levels-of-delegation-672ec2a48103>,
and was struck by how similar they are to Kaner's decision-making rules
<http://www.communityatwork.com/images/Kaners_Decision_Rules_2010.pdf>.
Maybe that's totally obvious in retrospect, that a looser decision-making
rule is another way of saying, a more delegated decision?  Let's see:

   1. Tell
   2. Sell
   3. Consult
   4. Agree (consensus)
   5. Advise
   6. Inquire
   7. Delegate

vs

   - Do what they are told
   - convince the person-in-charge
   - majority vote
   - Unanimous agreement
   - Delegation

They sort of overlap and they sort of don't.  I think the superset of these
two lists could be interesting.  Also, the 7 levels of delegation is
focused on how someone with power can hand off that power, whereas Kaner's
list is about different ways a group of people can make a decision and how
these ways affect group dynamics.