[teampractices] No questions allowed!

Marti Johnson mjohnson at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 13 22:54:49 UTC 2017

In the NVC trainings that I've been doing, it is often stressed that
authentic self expression is more vulnerable than listening, because the
speaker is exposing themselves while the listener remains relatively
hidden.  Obviously, the manner of expression makes all the difference--one
could easily be invulnerably talking-at someone and remain quite hidden.
But assuming that the speaker is showing up fully, with
self-responsibility, then the teaching, in relation to power dynamics, is
that the person in power should generally be the first one to speak (with
lots of caveats and exceptions), making themselves vulnerable first and
creating more equality of power.

I thought of this teaching when I read the dream.  In certain contexts,
being questioned by someone (especially by someone with more power) can
feel like facing a firing a squad--with one's vulnerability forcibly on
display, without mutuality and with insufficient regard for safety.  In
that kind of atmosphere, it could feel safer if no questions were allowed.
It could be a way to prioritize individual choice around self expression.

I think it's interesting to think about what makes a culture safe for
questions.  One of the things that occurs to me is that the environment
must genuinely support choice about how and whether to answer--a sense that
anyone can decline to answer, that an authentic no is not only allowable
but desirable--preferred over a cowed yes, etc.

*Marti JohnsonProgram Officer*
*Individual Grants*
*Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>*
+1 415-839-6885
Skype: Mjohnson_WMF

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share
<http://youtu.be/ci0Pihl2zXY> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it
a reality!
Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>