[teampractices] Juicero as a case study supporting Agile methods

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon May 29 22:17:44 UTC 2017

I hesitate to expect a hardware product to be developed using "agile"
methods. Especially one that requires negotiating with suppliers who must
provide compatible hardware (the juice packs, in this case). Agile relies
on a low cost of change to really work well. My gut says that this story is
more about the value of "lean", and especially "lean startup".

I have to wonder why they went for a fancy "squeeze the whole pack at once"
mechanism, rather than pulling the pack through rollers, along the lines of
a Mangle[1]. Sometimes, 500-year-old technology is appropriate.

Just this past weekend, I spoke with a Juicero owner (or more accurately,
the spouse of a Juicero owner). She was laughing (ironically) about how it
refused to make juice unless it was connected to the internet[2].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine)
[2] I don't know if that's true or not, but it's what she claimed

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation