[teampractices] Empathy vs compassion, when helping others

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 23 23:40:57 UTC 2017

Thanks for the video, Natalia (I also enjoy RSA videos). At the risk of
seeming that I lack compassion (I hope not!), I have some thoughts on it. :)

To me it seems like Brené Brown is conflating empathy with compassion
and/or understanding, and is completely mis-defining sympathy in order to
prop up empathy as a better alternative. (This makes me think this is a
technique for argumentative fallacy, maybe "reverse straw man"? "Begging
the question"?)

Specifically, these are the example conversations she uses for sympathy:

   - "I just had a miscarriage."
      - "At least you know you can get pregnant."
   - "I think my marriage is falling apart."
      - "At least you have a marriage."
   - "John is getting kicked out of school."
      - "At least he is an A-student."

I'm not sure that sounds like sympathy to me (wiktionary defines sympathy
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sympathy> and empathy as basically the same
thing, where the former is weaker than the latter). Is a silver lining the
defining aspect of sympathy?

In any case, the risk expressed in the article I linked is
<http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/when_empathy_hurts_compassion_can_heal>
that empathizing can lead to poorer decision-making (bias) and emotional
burnout on the part of the empathizer: