[teampractices] Retrospectives: Getting deep and personal

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 8 18:44:37 UTC 2016

+1 to Strine's thoughts. Very similarly and in line with David said about
getting a team to name emotions that occurred around mechanical feedback
(I'm removing the 'factual' part that David originally included because
emotions are facts too!), I've also had success combining the "mad, sad,
glad" format with the "timeline" format (also in the Esther Derby book,
which worked really nicely for a more engineering-centric group. The
timeline portion helped lay everything out in a logical, event-based
(feeling-free) manner; but then layering the "mad, sad, glad" piece on top
of that helped reveal how folks were feeling about various events that
happened, which spurred deeper conversation.