[teampractices] "post it" like collaboration on web

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 31 21:07:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Anne Gomez <agomez at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Here's a tool that might be useful for remote collaboration for less-linear
> things. One of the challenges I've run into repeatedly with remote
> conversations is around free-form clustering, as opposed to working on lists
> (etherpad), lists of lists (phab or trello), matrices (spreadsheets).
>
> I know an engineer who used to work on Padlet. Here's an example pad you can
> play with (or make your own):
> https://padlet.com/wall/3r94suqv8r4r

Thank you for sharing this. A few months ago, after seeing your email,
the Values working group decided to try and use Padlet for the
facilitated Values discussions. The rationale was that the post-it
note format would be more flexible than a plain Google doc, and that
it would make it easier to rearrange and cluster people's ideas.

We used it for a few sessions, but eventually fell back to Google docs
for a few reasons:
* People were unfamiliar with Padlet and a bit confused at first.
* Some participants experienced issues creating and editing their
notes. For example, at least one person could create notes with a
title, but couldn't add more content.
* Some participants had trouble using Padlet without logging in.

In the end, Padlet didn't work out well for our use case, but we're
still glad we tried it.

Today I also came across http://scrumblr.ca/ , a similar tool based on
GPL licensed software: https://github.com/aliasaria/scrumblr ; It's
used for example on https://framemo.org/ . I haven't used it much but
I thought it was worth mentioning as a follow-up.

--
Guillaume Paumier