[teampractices] Interesting logistical experiment in London Underground

Grace Gellerman ggellerman at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 26 19:59:42 UTC 2016

An experiment in the London Underground yielded a similarly
counterintuitive result to the Kanban tenet that we finish more by working
on less at any given time.

The Transport for London was able to substantially increase throughput of
passengers exiting the subway by converting the walking lane on the left of
the escalators to an additional standing lane like the traditional one on
the right.

The experiment sought to change entrenched behavior as it tried to tackle
bottlenecks.  Given that the capacity of these subway stations will be
challenged to process larger populations as technology improves (more
frequent trains, larger doors), finding a solution in behavior could be
more attractive than addressing one through infrastructure.

TL;DR : not unlike the work that we do in developing software.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/16/the-tube-at-a-standstill-why-tfl-stopped-people-walking-up-the-escalators