[teampractices] A tool for keeping action items accountable?

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 26 23:49:00 UTC 2016

A participant in a recent sprint retrospective requested a way to keep
people accountable for action items raised during a retro. Up to this
point, we've been emailing the action items to their stewards, but it's a
lossy process; even if the email is sent, it's not always followed up on.
I'm tasked with researching alternatives. Some ideas:

   - The first thought was to use existing Phabricator boards, but the team
   agreed that Phab was a lot of overhead for reminding folks to follow up on
   non-dev/product tasks.

   - Someone suggested Trello, since it is lightweight and connects with
   automation tools like IFTTT. There is concern about using another Phab-like
   tool, that isn't Phab, at the same time as Phab.

   - Someone suggested looking into Google Reminders, as part of Calendar,
   but assigning the Reminder to the stewards of respective action items. I
   have not seen a way to use this for this purpose.

Thoughts?